Monday 24 February 2014

A sightseeing trip to hospital.

Last Wednesday was time for my regular 6 weekly infusion of Methylprednisolone at the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead, London.

My carer, Marta, came just before 6.00 am to get me up, toileted, showered and dressed, ready to be picked up.  Marta is a new carer and has only been coming for a couple of weeks.  She is Polish, but has been in the UK for sometime. She is very hard working, and has picked up what to do very quickly. 

After taking my tablets and having a quick breakfast, the ambulance arrives, and once I have been strapped in we are on our way about 6.50 am.

With all the flooding locally in South Croydon, Purley and Kenley, I am expecting the traffic to be bad, but we actually sail through without any hold ups.  From Croydon we travel by the usual route through Thornton Heath, Norbury, Streatham and Brixton, again with very little hold up.

We cross the river Thames over Vauxhall Bridge, passed the MI6 Building.  When we get over the river, we turn right into Millbank and drive along the river to the Houses of Parliament.  We go round Parliament Square, and the statues of past Prime Ministers, and then onto Parliament Street.  This takes us passed Downing Street, the Cenotaph and the back of Horse Guards, and then up to Trafalgar Square. 

We go round the roundabout and up the right hand side of the square, and follow the road passed Leicester Square and up to the Tottenham Court Road.  This route would usually be full of slow moving traffic but we manage to get through without any hold ups, so its a nice sightseeing diversion.

From there we head up to and through Camden, as the market is opening, and then up the hill to the hospital.  We arrive about 8.10 am, which is some sort of record.

Usually I'd have to dash to the toilet, after having sat in the ambulance so long, but we've been so quick I can go up to the ward, and book in, and then find a toilet.

Because I am so early the nurses are only just coming on duty, so they help me take my coat off, then make me a cup of tea - yes, I a being spoilt - and the go for their morning staff meeting.

Whilst I'm waiting for them to finish, Jacqui from the cannulation team, comes and puts a cannula in my left arm.  I've known Jacqui for years, and despite me having terrible veins, she is the only person I can confidently say will get the needle in first time.  Jacqui always calls me Anthony.  I'm not sure why, or how it started but its stuck and doesn't feel right if she now uses my real name.

When it gets to 9.00 am, I ring my respiratory physio to let her know I have arrived and to see when she will come and see me.

Just after 10.00, my drugs are ready and I am started off.  I have a 250mg bag of Methylprednisolone, which takes 1 hour to run through.  The line is then flushed with saline, but this is only about 10 minutes, so its not too long before I have finished.

It was then a case of waiting, reading my book, before the respiratory physio turns up.  She arrives just after midday.

I have known Christine for about 10 years.  Issues with my breathing had previously been dealt with at the Royal Brompton Hospital in Chelsea.  Then a new consultant had been recruited at the Royal Free Hospital, and after some discussion, it was thought best if I transferred to Professor Wedziche, and have most of my treatment managed under the same hospital.  As part of the Professor joining the Royal Free, she had brought Christine with her, as one of her team.

Sadly, Christine advised that she is retiring in the next couple of months.  This is a great shame, as not only is she very nice person, but she is really good at her job.  She really goes out of her way to ensure that if I need equipment for my BiPap machine, that she gets this quickly and looks out for the best available options.  She is also very quick at spotting problems and dealing with these.  I have met her replacement, Steve, and he is also nice, but its always a shame to lose someone from your medical team, who you like and trust.

Also, Professor Wedzicha is leaving to return to the Royal Brompton.  She has offered to take me with her as a patient, but I haven't actually needed to see her for the past 6 years, as Christine is so good, so we agree that I'll stay with the respiratory team at the Royal Free, but if there are any problems, the option to transfer is still there.

We chat about a few things for next time, and the Christine is on her way.

I make my appointment for my next visit, and then head off to the transport lounge to wait to be taken home.  After a little over an hour waiting, a driver comes and collects me.

We have to drop two other patients off on the way, local to the hospital, but after that we are off home.  There is much more traffic and this means the journey home takes over 2 hours, but I'm indoors just after 4.00 pm.

It has been a long day but worthwhile, and its always nice to get to see the sights of London.

1 comment:

  1. oh wow, david had mention me on his blog :) you just had to love this guy if you knew him, cant believe he died just like that. i will miss him.

    ReplyDelete